Here’s the Biggest Korean Entertainment News of the Week (October 4–8)
- 2AM to make their long-awaited comeback2AM to make their long-awaited comeback
- BTOB’s Sungjae receives early discharge from military serviceBTOB’s Sungjae receives early discharge from military service
- Ahn Bo-hyun and Jo Bo-ah in talks for new dramaAhn Bo-hyun and Jo Bo-ah in talks for new drama
- BTS x Coldplay makes history in Billboard chartsBTS x Coldplay makes history in Billboard charts
- ‘Now We Are Breaking Up’ releases first official still photos‘Now We Are Breaking Up’ releases first official still photos
- Lee Byung-hun, Shin Min-ah, Kim Woo-bin, Han Ji-min, Cha Seung-won and more are casted for new dramaLee Byung-hun, Shin Min-ah, Kim Woo-bin, Han Ji-min, Cha Seung-won and more are casted for new drama
- Blackpink’s Rosé and IU are rumoured to collaborate on a new songBlackpink’s Rosé and IU are rumoured to collaborate on a new song
- ‘Snowdrop’ releases first official poster‘Snowdrop’ releases first official poster
- Kim Soo-hyun’s ‘One Ordinary Day’ unveils first still imagesKim Soo-hyun’s ‘One Ordinary Day’ unveils first still images
- Twice announces November comeback and new tourTwice announces November comeback and new tour
- Park Hyung-sik and Han Hyo-joo’s ‘Happiness’ drops first teaserPark Hyung-sik and Han Hyo-joo’s ‘Happiness’ drops first teaser
- First look at ‘Melancholia’ starring Lee Do-hyun and Im Soo-jungFirst look at ‘Melancholia’ starring Lee Do-hyun and Im Soo-jung
- Busan International Film Festival officially kicks offBusan International Film Festival officially kicks off
- In case you missed it...In case you missed it...
From casting news to new K-drama posters and trailer releases—here’s the biggest news in the Korean entertainment scene this week
The most exciting announcement is perhaps the star-studded cast of Our Blues which will see real-life couple, Shin Min-ah and Kim Woo-bin working on a drama project together for the first time. Highly anticipated dramas, Snowdrop and Now We Are Breaking Up also released new visuals for fans.
While the K-music scene is relatively quiet, exciting comebacks are happening: 2AM and Twice. Curious to find out more details? Read our weekly summary of the biggest Korean entertainment news to know more.
Missed last week’s? You can still read it here.
2AM to make their long-awaited comeback
2AM is expected to make their first comeback in seven years. According to local media reports, the group has already wrapped shooting the album jacket of the upcoming album.
Multiple sources also shared that Bang Si-hyuk, founder of BTS’ label, Hybe who recently stepped down as CEO to focus of production has given 2AM a song. It's reported that the group chose Bang’s song as their new title song.
The album will also be accompanied by another song produced by JYP’s song. The release date of the album hasn’t yet been announced.
BTOB’s Sungjae receives early discharge from military service
BTOB’s Sungjae treated his fan with an Instagram Live to share about his early discharge from military service. The new measure was implemented to prevent the spread of Covid-19.
“Thanks to you all, I was able to finish my military service in good health,” he said. He also said that he wants to start promoting again soon.
“I haven’t been able to meet [BTOB members] yet because of COVID-19. I want to hurry up and meet them soon.”
Ahn Bo-hyun and Jo Bo-ah in talks for new drama
Rumours of Tale of the Nine-Tailed returning for a second and third season has been surfacing the last couple of days. But female lead, Jo Bo-ah will reportedly not return.
It seems the actress is in talks to star in another drama instead. Her agency, KeyEast confirmed that the actress received an offer for Military Prosecutor Doberman. Should she accept, Jo will play rookie military prosecutor Cha Woo-in.
Ahn Bo-hyun who is starring in Yumi’s Cells and seen next in My Name is also in talks for the male lead role. He was offered the role of Do Bae-man, a military prosecutor hungry for money.
The show will be penned by Yoon Hyun-ho who worked on other law dramas such as Lawless Lawyer and Remember: War of the Son. It’s expected to premiere in the first half of 2022.
BTS x Coldplay makes history in Billboard charts
BTS and Coldplay’s collaborative single, My Universe debuted to number one on Billboard's Hot100 chart—the first number one debut by two co-billed lead groups.
This also marks Coldplay’s second Hot100 number one since 2008, while it’s BTS’ sixth since September 200.
The British rock band and superstar pop icons congratulated each other on Twitter shortly after the announcement. They also thanked both Coldplayers and ARMY—the fans of Coldplay and BTS.
‘Now We Are Breaking Up’ releases first official still photos
In the stills, we can see Song’s character Ha Young-eun, a manager of the design team at a fashion label. She is seen standing in front of a mannequin with an unfinished jacket, attending a meeting as well as speaking with a colleague.
Meanwhile, Jang, who plays a freelance photographer Yoon Jae-guk, is seen holding a camera, covered in denim. He seems to be inside a photo studio.
Now We Are Breaking Up premieres on November 12.
Lee Byung-hun, Shin Min-ah, Kim Woo-bin, Han Ji-min, Cha Seung-won and more are casted for new drama
It’s not just one but seven of South Korea’s biggest celebrities are teaming up for the K-drama, Our Blues. These include Lee Byung-hun, Shin Min-ah, Kim Woo-bin, Han Ji-min, Cha Seung-won, Lee Jung-eun and Uhm Jung-hwa.
The star-studded K-drama will be penned by famed writer, Noh Hee Kyung. It will follow the various characters in different stages of their lives and will be set in Jeju Island.
The casting got fans excited not only for its stacked A-listers but the real-life couple, Kim and Shin are working together on one project. Although from the description, it seems that the two will not be playing each other’s live interests.
The cast was originally slated to star in Noh’s other work, Hear but because the story required filming overseas, it was scrapped due to the pandemic. The cast decided to star in her next project instead which is Our Blues.
Our Blues is scheduled to air in 2022.
Blackpink’s Rosé and IU are rumoured to collaborate on a new song
It seems that the dream collaboration between IU and Blackpink’s Rosé is finally happening.
The two singers previously mentioned that they want to collaborate with each other.
‘Snowdrop’ releases first official poster
The poster shows the two leads dancing inside a darkly hit room with the decoration indicating that it’s an open house.
The K-drama is set in 1987 in Seoul and will follow the love story of university students, Su-ho and Young-ro. It’s scheduled to premiere in December.
Kim Soo-hyun’s ‘One Ordinary Day’ unveils first still images
Kim Soo-hyun’s upcoming drama, One Ordinary Day (alternative title: That Night) which is based on the BBC show, Criminal Justice has released its first set of still images.
Kim will star as Kim Hyun-soo, a college student who became a suspect in a murder case. To clear his name, he seeks the help of Shin Joong-han (Cha Seung-won), a low-class lawyer.
The series will premiere in November. You can watch the teaser here.
Twice announces November comeback and new tour
Twice recently dropped the music video for their first English song, My Feels where they left a surprise for the fans.
At the end of the video, a poster reveals an announcement of the group's upcoming plans including their sixth anniversary week in October. Other surprises include their third full-length album in November and an upcoming tour.
Park Hyung-sik and Han Hyo-joo’s ‘Happiness’ drops first teaser
Both Park Hyung-sik and Han Hyo-joo are making their small-screen comebacks in Happiness, an apocalyptic thriller drama.
The drama is Park’s first project since finishing his military enlistment while it's Han’s first one in five years. It will be set in the near future where an apartment building has become a place segregated based on social standing. An infectious disease breaks out and the residents’ fight for survival.
The teaser first showed the residents’ living peaceful lives which has been replaced by terror overnight. Happiness will air on November 5.
First look at ‘Melancholia’ starring Lee Do-hyun and Im Soo-jung
After releasing its first poster last week, Melancholia has unveiled a new set of character teasers for leads Lee Do-hyun and Im Soo-jung.
The drama will be set in a private school filled with corruption. Im will play math teacher, Ji Yoon-soo while Lee will take on the role of a former math prodigy, Baek Seung-yoo.
Given their social standing and age difference, the two will need to overcome difficulties and prejudices in order to be together.
Melancholia will air on November 3.
Busan International Film Festival officially kicks off
Netflix’s My Name and Hellbound will be premiering at the festival while popular films this year such as Drive My Car will also be screened. Parasite director, Bong Joon-ho was also present to attend a talk with Japanese director, Ryusuke Hamaguchi.
In case you missed it...
- Excited for Jirisan? Here’s a First Look at the Drama Starring Highest-Paid Actress Gianna Jun
- These Celebrities Rocked the Busan International Film Festival 2021 Red Carpet
- LIE Co-Founder Chung Chung Lee on Bringing Affordable Luxury Fashion to the World
- 5 Korean Horror Shows You Should Watch in October 2021
- 8 Thrilling Facts to Get You Excited for Netflix’s My Name
- Who are the Biggest Players in the K-Pop Industry?
- 11 of the Most Popular Female K-Drama Leads To Know This 2021
- Squid Game Star Jung Ho-Yeon Joins Louis Vuitton as New Ambassador
- Prada Welcomes Actress Kim Tae-Ri as New Ambassador