Korean Entertainment News: ‘Snowdrop’ And Ma Dong-Seok’s ‘Eternals’ First Look And More
- Heize is featured in Kim Minju’s ‘Not From Earth’ projectHeize is featured in Kim Minju’s ‘Not From Earth’ project
- HyunA and Dawn to release their first duetHyunA and Dawn to release their first duet
- Twice’s Jeongyeon is going on a hiatusTwice’s Jeongyeon is going on a hiatus
- First glimpse of Jung Hae-in and Jisoo of Blackpink in ‘Snowdrop’First glimpse of Jung Hae-in and Jisoo of Blackpink in ‘Snowdrop’
- K-Drama, ‘Mount Jirisan’ announces first soundtrack lineupK-Drama, ‘Mount Jirisan’ announces first soundtrack lineup
- Winner renews contract with YG EntertainmentWinner renews contract with YG Entertainment
- Soojin leaves (G)i-dleSoojin leaves (G)i-dle
- Sneak peek of Ma Dong-seok in Marvel's ‘The Eternals’Sneak peek of Ma Dong-seok in Marvel's ‘The Eternals’
- Super Junior's Sungmin is making a solo comebackSuper Junior's Sungmin is making a solo comeback
- Lee Jong-suk, Yoona, Kwang Dong-yeok in talks for new drama, ‘Big Mouth’Lee Jong-suk, Yoona, Kwang Dong-yeok in talks for new drama, ‘Big Mouth’
- In case you missed it...In case you missed it...
Catch up with the latest news in the Korean entertainment scene this week with our roundup below
There’s some exciting news this week in the Korean entertainment scene as we finally get the first glimpse of Blackpink’s Jisoo and Jung Hae-in’s upcoming drama, Snowdrop, as well as Ma Dong-seok’s first look as Gilgamesh in the Chloé Zhao-directed Marvel movie, Eternals.
Over on the music scene, we’re treated with the news of HyunA and Dawn’s upcoming duet song as well as the star-studded soundtrack line-up for the Jun Ji-hyun-led drama, Mount Jirisan.
Want to be updated with the latest happening in the Korean entertainment scene? Read on to find out more. If you missed last week’s summary, you can read it here.
Heize is featured in Kim Minju’s ‘Not From Earth’ project
Soloist Heize is featured in fashion stylist Kim Minju’s project, Not From Earth. Kim has worked with other celebrities including Han So-hee’s Nevertheless. In an Instagram post, Kim shared that the work “was so much fun...after doing all the cute things!” She also thanked Heize for taking time out of her busy schedule to be the model for the project.
Heize shared the photo from the project on her Instagram page as well. She’s seen flaunting colourful accessories with sticker-like illustrations looking as if she’s not from Earth, just as the title suggests.
HyunA and Dawn to release their first duet
Real-life couple HyunA and Dawn will be releasing their first duet together. Their agency, P Nation released the first teaser and scheduled the duo’s debut on September 9. On Instagram, HyunA shared snippets of the music video and described the music video filming experience as “meaningful and special”.
This February 2021, HyunA talked about struggling with depression, panic disorder and vasovagal syncope. In her Instagram post, she reassured her fans that she will “perform as much as [her] body can handle” and will “eat well and work out more”. Finally, she thanked Dawn and expressed her love for him.
Twice’s Jeongyeon is going on a hiatus
Twice’s Jeongyeon is set to go on another hiatus due to mental health concerns. The K-pop artist first took a break for her mental health back in October 2020 for three months. According to JYP Entertainment, Jeongyeon is “currently experiencing panic and psychological anxiety” and after discussions, the company “decided that is needed for Jeongyeon to have sufficient time to focus on her recovery and rest”.
The statement didn’t mention how long the singer will be on a break but noted that she will be “unable to attend Twice’s activity for a while”.
First glimpse of Jung Hae-in and Jisoo of Blackpink in ‘Snowdrop’
JTBC's Snowdrop Teaser! Omg Kim Jisoo and Jung Haein 😭💓— Red ً (@cvntyrowsie) August 17, 2021
SNOWDROP COMING SOONpic.twitter.com/dWbrnQtzoU
Blackpink’s Jisoo and Jung Hae-in’s highly anticipated K-drama, Snowdrop, just released its first sneak peek, leaving fans and K-drama lovers excited. Jtbc, the network airing the drama, announced its lineup including Snowdrop. The most significant change is that the drama moved its time slot of Saturday and Sunday, from September.
In the first glimpse of the series, Jisoo and Jung’s characters were seen dancing together. The two stars were also seen looking at each other in another scene. Further details haven’t been revealed yet.
K-Drama, ‘Mount Jirisan’ announces first soundtrack lineup
Mount Jirisan, Jun Ji-hyun’s (Gianna Jun) long-awaited K-drama, also starring Kingdom co-star Ju Ji-hoon, has announced its star-studded soundtrack lineup. The tvN drama will feature Girls Generation’s Taeyeon, Kim Jong-wan (Nell) and Gaho.
The drama is expected to premiere on October 23.
Winner renews contract with YG Entertainment
All the members of K-pop group, Winner—Kang Seung-yoon, Lee Seung-hoon, Song Mino and Kim Jin-woo—renew their contracts with YG Entertainment. The label announced that the members will stay with them for five more years.
“We really want to say that we respect Inner Circle [the name of the band’s fandom], who has always remained by our sides. We exist thanks to all of you. We want to continue on this endless journey of music while sharing more memories with you,” the group said in a statement via their company.
The group is currently on hiatus due to members Kim Jin-woo and Lee Seung-hoon finishing their mandatory military service.
Soojin leaves (G)i-dle
(G)i-dle member Soojin will be leaving the group according to a statement from Cube Entertainment. Soojin has been on a break since March, following online posts alleging that the artist was involved in school bullying. Both Soojin and Cube Entertainment denied the accusations.
The statement from Cube Entertainment states, “First, the agency apologises for having caused concern through the controversy associated with our artist Soojin. Today, we are announcing the decision that Soojin will be leaving the group.”
They added that (G)i-dle will continue as a five-member group.
Sneak peek of Ma Dong-seok in Marvel's ‘The Eternals’
Entertainment Weekly has revealed the first look of Ma Dong-seok as Gilagameh in the Chloé Zhao-directed Marvel movie, The Eternals. On the cover, Ma wears his uniform with a determined look on his face.
The magazine introduced Ma as being “well-known internationally for his breakthrough role in the movie, Train to Busan”. They added that Ma was offered a number of Hollywood roles since then but Gilgamesh is the “first role he’s ever been attracted to”.
In the interview, the actor said that he's always been a big fan of Marvel and really “loved Gilgamesh’s character”. Through his character, he “saw the possibility of inspiring the younger generation as the first Korean superhero of the Marvel cinematic universe”. He also described his character as the “strongest warrior of Eternals” but also “a funny guy and has a sense of humour”.
Super Junior's Sungmin is making a solo comeback
Jungmin of Super Junior is confirmed to be making a comeback with a new solo album. Local news media Osen reported that Sungmin has already finished filming a music video for the solo album, which is expected to be released in September.
A source from his agency, Label SJ also confirmed the news through local outlet YTN Star. The upcoming solo album is the follow-up to his solo mini-album, Orgel, which was released in November 2019.
Lee Jong-suk, Yoona, Kwang Dong-yeok in talks for new drama, ‘Big Mouth’
Last April, it was announced that Lee Jong-suk will be making his comeback to the small screen in Big Mouth which will be helmed by Start Up’s director. He’s set to play Park Chang-ho, a lawyer who only has a case success rate of less than 10 per cent.
It’s reported that the drama will begin filming in early September and end in March 2022. Lee is still in talks, as are Girls Generation’s Yoona, Kwak Dong-yeon, Kim Joo-hun and Yang Kyung-won. Both Kwak and Yang previously worked together in Vincenzo.
In case you missed it...
- BTS’ 'Butter' Outsells 99 Of The Bestselling Albums In Korea Combined For July 2021
- A New Fan Of BTS? Here Are 7 Shows And Movies You Can’t Miss
- Korean Artist Meeyoung Kim Presents First Solo Exhibition In Singapore At The Work Project
- Seoul, Busan, And More: 10 Of The Most Instagrammable Places To Visit In South Korea
- South Korean Artist Lee Bae On His New Exhibition And Why Charcoal And Monochrome Are Forever
- 15 Classic Korean Dishes You Need To Know
- 7 Best Park Seo-Joon Shows To Watch: Itaewon Class, Fight For My Way And More
- Snowdrop, Tune In For Love And More: 8 Jung Hae-In Shows To Watch This 2021
- Exclusive: Kim Woo-Bin On Being Jaeger-LeCoultre’s New Ambassador And What’s Next For Him
- K-Style Files: 9 Of G-Dragon's Most Fashionable Looks
- Sulwhasoo’s Mina Kim Shares Her Beauty Foundation Tips For Youthful Skin