Cover Philippines Department of Tourism (DOT) Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat speaks before delegates of the 21st WTTC Global Summit on its opening day on Thursday, April 21, at the Marriott Hotel Manila (Photo: DOT)

In an event held at the Philippine International Convention Centre, the World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC) together with its esteemed roster of delegates convened to share their respective insights on this year's international travel situation

Some parts of the world, like the Philippines, are starting to loosen up when it comes to COVID-19 protocols; this opens the idea that travelling without fear or worry of the pandemic is once again possible, especially in the coming months.

Just recently, the World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC) together with delegates from across the global travel and tourism sector gathered at Philippine International Convention Centre (PICC) to celebrate the 21st WTTC Global Summit under the theme 'Rediscovering Travel.' 

The three-day convention was opened by the Department of Tourism (DOT) Secretary and Asia's Most Influential 2021 honouree Bernadette Romulo-Puyat who said that the event "marks the beginning of a new era for Philippine tourism".

In case you missed it: The 21st Global Summit of the World Travel and Tourism Council Will be Held in Manila This 2022

In its latest Economic Impact Report (EIR), the WTTC revealed that travel and tourism in the Philippines will reach an annual growth rate of 6.7 per cent in the next 10 years, exceeding its overall economy average growth rate of just 5.6 per cent. 

The said EIR also projected that employment will grow annually by an average of three per cent in the same period, generating some 2.9 million jobs that will account for at least 21.5 per cent of all jobs in the Philippines.

Related: Tatler Report: How's Quality of Life in the Philippines Amid the COVID-19 Pandemic?

Tatler Trivia: A survey conducted by Statista showed that as of April 2020, 64 per cent of Filipino households had a member who lost his or her job amid the COVID-19 pandemic due to the enhanced community quarantines (ECQs) imposed by the government. On the other hand, 36 per cent of surveyed respondents shared that none of their household members was affected. 

The Esteemed Panel

Globally renowned speakers who graced the event were Crazy Rich Asians author and executive producer Kevin Kwan and the award-winning Lawrence Bender who produced critically-acclaimed films such as Pulp Fiction, Good Will Hunting, and Inglorious Basterds

Also in the event are Beautiful Destinations' founder and CEO Jeremy Jauncey, who shared his thoughts on the rise of adventure tourism; and British writer, television presenter, and entrepreneur Bear Grylls, who is behind the shows Man Vs Wild and You Vs Wild.

More from Tatler: 7 Most Extravagant Wedding Gowns From Movies: Bride Wars, Crazy Rich Asians, And More

A Marvellous Gala

Nothing else sets the excitement better than an intricately curated gala which was attended by some of the country's most talented artists including Bamboo, Martin Nievera, Isay Alvarez, Robert Seña, Filipino girl group BINI, and the Manila Philharmonic Orchestra.

Guests were also invited to digest a scrumptious five-course dinner prepared by the internationally-renowned and awarded chef Margarita Forés, an Asia's Most Influential 2021 honouree.

NOW READ

Safe Tourist Destinations for Your Next Getaway to Pampanga and Cebu

Masungi Georeserve Trustees Will Speak on Ecotourism at World Travel & Tourism Council Global Summit 2022

Space Travel: Looking For A Unique Destination? How About Touring Off-Earth?

© 2022 Tatler Asia Limited. All rights reserved.