The Biggest Korean Entertainment News of the Week (October 11–15)
- Twice announces full album releaseTwice announces full album release
- ‘Now We Are Breaking Up’ releases first teaser‘Now We Are Breaking Up’ releases first teaser
- CNBlue confirmed to make a comebackCNBlue confirmed to make a comeback
- Lee Do-hyun and Song Hye-Kyo are in talks for a new project by Kim Eun-sookLee Do-hyun and Song Hye-Kyo are in talks for a new project by Kim Eun-sook
- Lee Hyori will be hosting the 2021 Mnet Asian Music AwardsLee Hyori will be hosting the 2021 Mnet Asian Music Awards
- Krystal Jung and Kim Jae-wook are confirmed as leads for new dramaKrystal Jung and Kim Jae-wook are confirmed as leads for new drama
- IU reveals new teaser for ‘Strawberry Moon’IU reveals new teaser for ‘Strawberry Moon’
- Blackpink’s Lisa will collaborate with DJ Snake, Ozuna and Megan Thee StallionBlackpink’s Lisa will collaborate with DJ Snake, Ozuna and Megan Thee Stallion
- Blackpink’s Jisoo and Jung Hae-in’s upcoming drama, ‘Snowdrop’ releases new teaserBlackpink’s Jisoo and Jung Hae-in’s upcoming drama, ‘Snowdrop’ releases new teaser
- 2PM’s Jun-ho makes comeback in historical drama, ‘The Red Sleeve Cuff’2PM’s Jun-ho makes comeback in historical drama, ‘The Red Sleeve Cuff’
- In case you missed it...In case you missed it...
New teasers, concept images and comeback announcements are among the hottest news in the Korean entertainment scene this week
There is exciting news for Korean dramas fans who are eager to see two of the highly-anticipated dramas this year! Song Hye-kyo’s upcoming drama, Now We Are Breaking Up and Blackpink Jisoo’s debut drama, Snowdrop both just unveiled their first teasers, hinting at what fans should expect. We also get more casting news on Korean dramas planned for next year.
Over at the K-pop scene, Blackpink's Lisa is set to collaborate with overseas artists while CNBlue announced their comeback with a new mini-album. Didn’t get to catch up with the latest Korean entertainment news? We got you covered. Read below to find out the hottest news in the Korean entertainment industry this week.
Missed last week’s summary? You can still read it here.
Twice announces full album release
TWICE 3rd Full Album— TWICE (@JYPETWICE) October 8, 2021
"Formula of Love: O+T=<3"
2021.11.12 FRI 2PM (KST), 0AM (EST)
Worldwide Pre-order Starts
2021.10.12 TUE 11AM (KST)
2021.10.11 MON 10PM (EST)#TWICE #트와이스 #FormulaOfLove pic.twitter.com/QmxZag9TVi
Following the success of The Feels, their first English song, Twice is officially coming back with a full-length album titled Formula of Love: O+T=<3. The new album is set for release on November 12. Not many details have been revealed yet such as the title track or how many songs are included but they announced that pre-order started on October 12.
‘Now We Are Breaking Up’ releases first teaser
After releasing still images last week, Song Hye-kyo and Jang Ki-yong’s highly anticipated drama, Now We Are Breaking Up has finally released its first teaser. Taking place on a rainy day, the name of the drama is first displayed across a wet window screen. A radio DJ then says, “Here's the last song for today's rainy day” and Car the Garden’s Stay is announced in the queue.
The accompanying visuals in the desk are two black and white photographs with a ring next to it until another one rolls in. A film camera is also positioned next to the photos alongside a notebook. The photograph then catches fire and the teaser ends.
The teaser hints at the whirlwind love story that will take place between Song Hye-kyo and Jang Ki-yong's characters. Now We Are Breaking Up premieres on November 12.
CNBlue confirmed to make a comeback
CNBlue is making a comeback this October 20 with a release of their ninth mini-album. Titled Wanted, the upcoming album will feature a country western-themed concept. Following the announcement, the group released concept photos, concept film indicating the theme of the album as well as how the album will look like.
The tracklist is set to be announced in the coming days leading up to the release.
Lee Do-hyun and Song Hye-Kyo are in talks for a new project by Kim Eun-sook
Both their upcoming dramas haven’t even aired yet but Song Hye-kyo and Lee Do-hyun may already be starring in a project together. Back in January, Song has been confirmed to play the lead role. The drama will reunite her with screenwriter Kim Eun-sook, one of South Korea’s most sought-after TV screenwriters who penned Descendants of the Sun (with Song), The King: Eternal Monarch, Goblin and Mr. Sunshine.
Baeksang Arts Award Best New Actor, Lee has been tapped for the lead actor role, Joo Yeo-jung. His agency confirmed that the actor received an offer is currently reviewing it. The upcoming drama titled, The Glory, follows a high school student who has dreams of becoming an architect. But due to school violence, she had to drop out of school. Years later, her bully is married and has a child. In order to enact her revenge, she becomes the child’s homeroom teacher.
Lee Hyori will be hosting the 2021 Mnet Asian Music Awards
Lee Hyori is making history as the first female host of the Mnet Asian Music Awards. The singer was part of the popular girl group, Fin.K.L, debuting in 1998 before going on a solo career as a dancer and singer. She went on a hiatus on 2015 and returned in 2017 in variety shows including Hyori’s Homestay.
“With the concept of ‘Make Some Noise,’ 2021 MAMA intends to show the world the renewed and upgraded power of music to respect the value of difference and break through prejudices. We cast Lee Hyori as the host because we felt that she embodied the values that we wanted to embrace for this year’s MAMA,” says Mnet’s representative.
Mnet has also released a teaser that shows the different ways of styling to form the logo for this year’s MAMA.
Krystal Jung and Kim Jae-wook are confirmed as leads for new drama
Ever since Kim Jae-wook did his first romance role in Her Private Life, there was a clamour for more. It seems fans’ wishes have been granted.
Kim will be starring opposite f(x)’s Krystal Jung for a new iQiyi romance drama, Crazy Love. He will be taking on the role of Noh Go-jin, a narcissistic education company CEO and top math instructor. He boasts an IQ of 190. His life changes when he finds out that someone wants to murder him.
Meanwhile, Krystal will be playing Lee Shin-ah, Noh’s secretary. Despite being hard-working and responsible, she’s almost invisible and has a hard time dealing with her boss. Her life also changes when she finds out that she doesn’t have much time to live.
Crazy Love is scheduled to premiere in the first half of 2022.
IU reveals new teaser for ‘Strawberry Moon’
K-pop soloist, IU is set to release a new song called Strawberry Moon this October 19. Since the announcement, IU has released a couple of teaser images about the upcoming single. Most recently, she dropped a lyric teaser to show what fans can expect.
Blackpink’s Lisa will collaborate with DJ Snake, Ozuna and Megan Thee Stallion
Following her solo debut, Blackpink’s Lisa is set to collaborate with Ozuna, DJ Snake and Megan Thee Stallion. In the short 30-second teaser, DJ Snake walks out of a building to get into a car that has the license plate, “SXY Girl.” The camera then moves across three parked cars with the license plates of Lisa, Megan and Ozuna’s names.
Both DJ Snake and Ozuna confirmed the collaboration but its title or release date hasn’t been announced.
Blackpink’s Jisoo and Jung Hae-in’s upcoming drama, ‘Snowdrop’ releases new teaser
Last week, fans were greeted when the poster for Snowdrop was released. This week, a teaser has finally been unveiled that teases the emotional love story of university students, Su-ho and Young-ro. The drama will follow Su-ho (Jung Hae-in), an elite university student. Much to everyone’s surprise, he suddenly appears in a women’s university covered in blood. Young-ro (Jisoo) takes him under his wing and treats his wound as the two are watched under close surveillance.
The teaser gives us an idea of the show’s setting. We see Su-ho riding a bike, falling snow and a scene of Su-ho and Young-ro’s hands almost touching. The last scene shows Young-ro’s hand tightly grasping Su-ho's sleeve, as if not wanting him to leave.
Snowdrop will be helmed by writer Yoo Hyun-mi and director Jo Hyun-tak, who previously worked on Sky Castle, the second highest-rated cable TV Korean drama. It is scheduled to premiere this December 2021.
2PM’s Jun-ho makes comeback in historical drama, ‘The Red Sleeve Cuff’
2PM’s Jun-ho will be making his comeback to the screen with historical drama, The Red Sleeve Cuff. The actor will star alongside Lee Se-young for the first time. The story takes place in the imperial court where a romance between a court lady and the emperor takes place.
Jun-ho will be playing Yi San, the heir to the throne while Lee will take on the role of Seong Deok-im, a court lady. The two will meet and fall in love despite the difference in status. The Red Sleeve Cuff will be Jun-ho’s first historical drama while it is a follow-up of Lee’s The Crowned Clown. Mark your calendars for November 5.
In case you missed it...
- Netflix: Travel Vicariously Through These 6 K-Dramas
- ‘Squid Game’ is Officially Netflix’s Most Watched Show
- The Winners of the Busan International Film Festival 2021
- Exclusive: Han So-Hee Talks Transforming Into an Action Star for Netflix’s ‘My Name’
- 5 Reasons You’ll Love Netflix's New K-Drama, ‘The King's Affection’
- 5 Times BTS’ Jimin Broke Gender Norms
- How Well Do You Know South Korea’s Favourite ‘Good Boy’, Kim Seon-Ho?
- K-Pop Stars Kang Seung-Yoon, Song Mino and More to Showcase Artworks in London
- 5 Squid Game-Style Staircases Around The World
- What If ‘Squid Game’ Was Held in The Philippines? 7 Pinoy Games That’ll Definitely Make Us Sweat
- Here’s How You Can Own a Real Piece of BTS’ History
- 5 South Korea Luxury Hotels Loved by Song Joong-Ki, Blackpink’s Rosé and Other Celebrities
- 9 of Yoo Ah-In’s Best Movies and Shows to Watch
- Brilliante Mendoza's ‘Gensan Punch’ Wins at the Busan International Film Festival