The Tatler Bar Challenge 1: Watch Bartenders Create Delicious Asian-Inspired Cocktails
It is no secret that Singapore is home to some of the best bartenders in Asia. Their creativity knows no bounds, and we wanted to highlight these personalities by giving them fun challenges in this three-part video series hosted by The Tatler Bar.
The first challenge was to create an original cocktail using their favourite Asian ingredients and spirits. Naturally, they dug deeper into their personal memories—and, of course, alcohol cabinets—to come up with innovative tipples we can’t wait to see on their cocktail menus. Here are three of them:
See also: 4 Summer Cocktail Recipes to Try at Home
Roku Tiki Ramos
Julyan Phillips, bar manager, Neon Pigeon
This refreshing cocktail uses plenty of Japanese components, from Roku Gin as its base to the yuzu juice for additional citrus notes. It’s garnished with togarashi for a spicy kick.
- 45ml Roku Gin
- 20ml house pineapple syrup
- 10ml yuzu juice
- 10ml lime juice
- 1 dash firewater
- top ginger beer
- Mix all the ingredients with three small ice cubes in a cocktail shaker.
- Shake well for about 6 minutes or until the ice cubes are fully dissolved, and pour in a glass.
- Refrigerate for 1 minute.
- Top with ginger beer and togarashi powder. Serve.
Hasith Rathnayaka, head bartender, Mr Stork
Inspired by the local Peranakan dish, udang masak lemak nanas, this tipple is concocted with quintessential Asian ingredients such as pineapple and lemongrass. The potent finish comes from the Colombo Navy Strength Gin.
50ml Colombo Navy Strength Gin
15ml Maraschino liqueur
15ml Yellow Chartreuse liqueur
15ml fresh pineapple purée
30ml fresh lime juice
A pinch of sea salt
100ml homemade lemongrass syrup
25ml coconut milk
75ml fresh lime juice
4 pcs kaffir lime leaf
- Mix the ingredients in a cocktail shaker.
- Shake well and pour in a glass.
- Finish with kaffir lime leaves and lemongrass foamee.
- Garnish with lime zest and serve.
Kung Fu Pandan
Gavin Teravasan, head bartender, Studio 1939 at Potato Head
Teravasan has created a dessert-like cocktail, using Tanqueray London Dry Gin and ingredients such as pandan, coconut milk and pineapple juice.
- 30ml Tanqueray London Dry Gin
- 60ml coconut pandan milk
- 30ml pineapple juice
- 10ml sour mix
- Mix all the ingredients in a cocktail shaker.
- Shake well; use a strainer and pour liquid in a chilled glass with a block of ice.
- Garnish with pandan leaf and serve.