All the Winners From the Asian Film Awards 2021
The Asian Film Awards (AFA) is a celebration of filmmakers who have cultivated the Asian film industry. This year’s edition took place on October 8 where a total of 36 films produced in eight Asian regions were nominated.
The Lee Chang-dong-led jury awarded 18 prizes in total including Best Film, Best Director and Best Newcomer. Awards that were announced before the ceremony are the Excellence in Asian Cinema, which was given to Korean actor Lee Byung-hun and the highest-grossing movie of 2020 which was awarded to the anime, Demon Slayer Kimetsu no Yaiba The Movie: Mugen Train.
Compared to previous editions where one film mostly dominated a few award categories, this year, that wasn’t entirely the case with Kiyoshi Kurosawa’s Wife of a Spy, winning three awards including the top prize for Best Film. Non-East Asian films were also able to take home awards compared to previous years such as Best Screenplay for Chaitanya Tamhane for The Disciple.
Other big winners include Yoo Ah-in’s dialogue-free performance in Voice of Silence, for which he earned another Best Actor award. After five nominations, Aoi Yu finally takes home an award—Best Actress for Wife of a Spy. Newcomer Kim Hyun-bin bagged the newcomer award for his role in Silent Forest.
Hong Kong films also received awards this year. Limbo was awarded Best Sound and Best Production Design while The Way We Keep Dancing clinched the Best Original Music award.
Read on to find out the full list of winners.
- Wife of a Spy (Japan)
- Zhang Yimou for One Second (China)
- Yoo Ah-in for Voice of Silence (South Korea)
- Aoi Yu for Wife of a Spy (Japan)
Excellence in Asian Cinema Award
- Lee Byung-hun
In case you missed it: 9 of Yoo Ah-In's Best Movies and Shows to Watch
The Highest Grossing Film of 2020
- Demon Slayer Kimetsu no Yaiba The Movie: Mugen Train
Best Supporting Actor
- Kim Hyun-bin for The Silent Forest (Taiwan)
Best Supporting Actress
- Makita Aju for True Mothers (Japan)
Best New Director
- Hong Eui-jeong for Voice of Silence (South Korea)
- Liu Haocun for One Second (China)
In case you missed it: Cannes Film Festival 2021: 14 Asian Films Taking the Spotlight
- Chaitanya Tamhane for The Disciple (India)
- Li Yongyi for Cliff Walkers (China)
- Masoud Amini Tirani for The Wasteland (Iran)
Best Original Music
- Day Tai for The Way We Keep Dancing (Hong Kong)
In case you missed it: Two Hong Kong Films Win Best Sound and Best Original Music at Asian Film Awards
Best Costume Design
- Koketsu Haruki for Wife of a Spy (Japan)
Best Production Design
- Kenneth Mak for Limbo (Hong Kong)
Best Visual Effects
- Tim Crosbie and Joy Wu for The Eight Hundred (China)
- Nopawat Likitwong for Limbo (Hong Kong)
In case you missed it: Netflix: 7 Shows That Made It to the Busan International Film Festival 2021