For many gourmands, burgers are the ultimate comfort food. Not only are they extremely delicious, they are also served in a variety of ways and stacked with as many ingredients as you can bite into. Home cooks will also be glad to know that they are extremely simple to make, as long as you have the right ingredients (such as premium minced beef) and kitchen tools. To get you started, here is an easy burger recipe to prepare for the family this weekend.
Lockdown Recipe: Red Wine Burgers
- 1 1/2 lb Aussie ground beef
- 1 ½ cups red wine
- 1 shallot minced
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 burger buns
- 4 slices of your favourite cheese
- 8 large tomato slices
- Boil wine and shallots in a medium saucepan for about 20 to 30 minutes, until it’s reduced by half. Add 1 tablespoon butter and brown sugar; whisk until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Remove from heat. Mix remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Set aside.
- Prepare grill for medium-high heat. Mix beef, Worcestershire, salt, pepper and 1/4 cup wine-shallot mixture in a bowl. Form meat into four burger patties. Grill burgers until brown on the bottom for about 3 minutes. Turn burgers and brush with additional wine-shallot mixture.
- Continue grilling burgers until cooked to desired doneness, turning and brushing occasionally with the wine-shallot mixture, about 4 minutes longer for medium-rare. Top with a slice of cheese and remove from grill.
- Grill the buns, cut sides down until lightly browned. Top bottom buns with burgers, then tomato slices and lettuce. Cover with top buns and serve immediately.
This recipe was re-published with permission from Meat & Livestock Australia.
© 2022 Tatler Asia Limited. All rights reserved.