Prince Harry and Meghan Markle: 5 Milestones Since Stepping Down From Royal Duties
- Archie Celebrated His First BirthdayArchie Celebrated His First Birthday
- The Couple Moved To Their First Family HomeThe Couple Moved To Their First Family Home
- Delivered Meals To People Amid The LockdownDelivered Meals To People Amid The Lockdown
- Meghan Talks About Black Lives Matter movementMeghan Talks About Black Lives Matter movement
- Prince Harry And Meghan Set Their First Netflix SeriesPrince Harry And Meghan Set Their First Netflix Series
All eyes were on Prince Harry and Meghan Markle after leaving full-time royal life. From their son's first birthday to their first family home in Santa Barbara, many milestones have passed since the infamous 'Megxit'
In 2020, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle decided they were over media scrutiny and the strictures of their roles as royalties. The couple announced their plan to step back from their duties on their now-defunct @SussexRoyal account on Instagram.
While there have been many ups and downs for them, some reports say that their lives are “happier than ever” today. These milestones may be the reason.
Read more: Have Prince Harry And Meghan Markle Quit Social Media?
Archie Celebrated His First Birthday
The Sussexes, in a sweet and low-key party, celebrated Archie’s first birthday in May 2020. According to reports, Meghan made a small smash cake decorated by Prince Harry.
In a short video, Meghan was seen reading Duck! Rabbit!, Archie’s favourite book. It was released on his birthday as Save the Children's Save with Stories campaign.
Read also: News: Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are Expecting Their Second Child
The Couple Moved To Their First Family Home
The couple has gone exceptionally grand with their $14.65 million family house in Montecito, Santa Barbara. They previously stayed in a compound owned by actor Tyler Perry which boasted six bathrooms, six bedrooms, a home theatre, and a children’s playground.
Read more: Prince Harry and Meghan Want Financial Independence: How Other British Royals Earn their Keep
Delivered Meals To People Amid The Lockdown
The Duke and Duchess may have left their royal duties, but they never stopped doing public service. Amid the COVID-19 lockdown, the couple was seen volunteering for Project Angel Food.
“In honour of the Easter holiday, the Duke and Duchess spent Sunday morning volunteering with Project Angel Food by delivering meals to our clients," Richard Ayoub, executive director of Project Angel Food, said in a statement. "And on Wednesday they quietly continued delivering meals to relieve our overworked drivers. It was their way to thank our volunteers, chefs and staff who have been working tirelessly since the COVID-19 crisis began”.
Related:Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are Transitioning from Royals to Activists
Meghan Talks About Black Lives Matter movement
The Duchess of Sussex has been a staunch supporter of the Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement. Speaking before the students of Immaculate Heart High School in Los Angeles, Meghan called out the police for the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis.
“I wasn’t sure what I could say to you. I wanted to say the right thing and I was really nervous that I wouldn’t or it would get picked apart, and I realised the only wrong thing to say is to say nothing because George Floyd’s life mattered and Breonna Taylor’s life mattered and Philando Castile’s life mattered and Tamir Rice’s life mattered. And so did so many other people whose names we know, and whose names we do not know," Meghan said in her speech.
Prince Harry And Meghan Set Their First Netflix Series
Prince Harry and Meghan have signed a multi-year production deal with streaming company Netflix. This means that both of them are eligible to produce scripted shows, documentaries, docu-series, features and children's programming.
One of their first shows is Heart of Invictus a docu-series which will follow "a group of extraordinary competitors from around the globe, all service members who have suffered life-changing injuries or illnesses on their road to the Invictus Games The Hague 2020, now set to take place in 2022".
In an interview, co-CEO and chief content officer of Netflix Ted Sarandos said that the couple's Archewell productions has "an ambitious slate that reflects the values and causes they hold dear".
"From the moment I met them, it's been clear that the Invictus Games hold a very special place in their hearts, and I couldn't be happier that their first series for Netflix will showcase that for the world in a way never seen before," said Sarandos said.