It’s been a challenging year for everybody, even Kim Kardashian and Kanye West. The celebrity couple, who tied the knot in May 2014 and, in the ensuing years, have built individual brands and empires that today total more than than $2 billion in estimated net worth, have weathered a year of public discord that has largely played out to their collective hundreds of millions of followers on social media. According to reports this morning published in Page Six, People magazine, and on E!, the longtime home network of Keeping Up With The Kardashians, Kardashian and West are on the brink of divorce.
“It’s gotten to the point where they haven’t spent time together as a married couple in months,” a source told E! News. “They’ve seen each other for the sake of the kids but have been living separately. Kim knows the marriage is over. She’s known for a while.”
With an official announcement expected in the next few days, questions and speculations are swirling around the couple’s sizeable joint assets, including real estate in Los Angeles and in Wyoming, where West has reportedly been residing for the past few months. According to multiple reports, Kardashian has retained Laura Wasser as her divorce lawyer to represent her in the proceedings.
“Kim is trying to get Kanye to turn over the Calabasas house to her, because that’s where the kids are based and growing up. That is their home,” a source told Page Six. “She owns all the land and adjoining lots around the house but Kanye owns the actual house. They’ve both put a lot of money into renovating it.”
Fans got a glimpse inside the sprawling minimalist home in 2019 when the family participated in a 73 Questions video.
This isn’t the first time Kardashian has worked with Wasser. Wasser also represented Kardashian in her divorce—after a 72-day marriage—from basketball player Kris Humphries in 2011.
Who is Laura Wasser? Here’s everything we know about Kim Kardashian's divorce attorney.
- Laura Wasser is one of Los Angeles’ top celebrity divorce attorneys. She’s represented A-list stars including Johnny Depp, Angelina Jolie, Maria Shriver, and Britney Spears.
- She is the managing partner of Los Angeles-based family law firm Wasser, Cooperman & Mandles, PC. The firm’s area of expertise includes divorce, child custody cases, prenuptial and postnuptial agreements.
- Wasser attended the University of California, Berkeley, and received her law degree from Loyola Law School.
- She is an author; her book It Doesn’t Have to Be That Way: How to Divorce Without Destroying Your Family or Bankrupting Yourself was published by St Martin’s Press in 2013.
- Wasser is the founder of It’s Over Easy, a “premium online divorce” platform that simplifies uncontested divorce filings.
- According to Page Six, Wasser specialises in negotiating confidential divorce settlements for her celebrity clients before public filings.