Put your best face forward for combating Hong Kong’s hot and humid season
Spring/Summer looks courtesy Giorgio Armani Beauty
If you’ve started wilting in the heat already, we have bad news – Hong Kong’s summer season is only just getting started. But never fear, help is here thanks to our handy guide for mastering summer beauty, meaning melting makeup and shiny sweat patches are just a couple less things you’ll have to worry about this season.
We spoke to makeup artist maestro Jan Leung from Chantecaille, who has over 10 years of experience in the beauty game, to get his top seven tips on ensuring you look radiant and ravishing round the clock, however hot it gets.
1. Always wear a sunscreen and primer underneath your makeup to prevent sunspots and ageing skin. This also helps your makeup stay flawless all-day in hot humid weather. If possible, bring a powder that has SPF out with you for on-the-go re-applications throughout the day, ensuring your complexion gets the ultimate protection. We recommend Chantecaille’s Ultra Protection Primer SPF50.
2. Mix a gel bronzer and highlighter with your foundation and body lotion to fake a sun-kissed glow. Want a golden tan but without the hours spent baking in the sun? Try Tom Ford’s Shade & Illuminate highlighter and bronzer duo, or Kevyn Aucoin’s Candlelight Celestial Powder (available at Joyce Beauty) for a natural-looking radiance. No one will know the difference!
3. Carry a lightweight powder compact with you, no matter what. Avoid blotting paper; despite what you might think, this often absorbs too much oil from your face, meaning your skin only ends up producing more. Instead, blot away excess oil with tissue paper and gently apply your powder in a patting motion with a sponge.
4. Swap the richer, moisturising cream foundations you used during dry season for a lightweight oil-free foundation. Minimise shine in your summer selfies with products like Chantecaille’s Future Skin Foundation – ideal for oily and combination skin. For drier complexions, a radiant tinted moisturiser is your new best friend for the summer season.
5. Use a stain on your cheeks underneath your powder blush to make the colour last longer. A cream stain like By Terry’s Cellularose Blush Glace (available at Joyce Beauty) will help you go the distance.
6. Use a waterproof eyeliner as a base for your eye shadow – this helps your shadow stay in place and prevents creasing. Apply the eyeliner along your lash line and smudge it out with a brush, then apply your favourite eye shadow on top. A new favourite for summer are Giorgio Armani’s Eye Tint shadows, which combine the purity of a powder, the feel of cream and the staying power of ink for multi-dimensional colours that can be layered for extra intensity.
7. Use a lip treatment every night before bed to ensure your pout is as plump and moisturised as possible. This way, your favourite lip colours will apply more smoothly and look even better come morning. Seek out lip products with SPF that can be worn throughout the day, too. Fresh’s Sugar Tinted Lip Treatment SPF 15 can be worn alone for a light tint, or combined with your regular lipstick for extra hydration and sun protection.