The 2021 Oscars nominations were announced on March 15, so ahead of the awards on April 25, be sure to catch these nominated films on Netflix
Even with social distancing restrictions, this year's awards season continues to make headlines, with the much-anticipated 2021 Oscar nominations announced on March 15.
After making history at the Golden Globes by becoming the first Asian woman to win Best Director, Chloe Zhao has also claimed the title of the first woman in Oscars history to be nominated in four categories in a single year for her acclaimed film Nomadland. While the acclaimed film is sadly not available to watch on Netflix, there are plenty of nominees that are, with the streaming platform giving us access to some of the years most-talked-about pieces of cinema.
So, if you're looking for something to watch while we pass the time until the awards on April 25, add these films to your watch list––from the ten-time nominated Mank, to the heartbreaking drama Pieces of a Woman and even Will Ferrell's latest spoof comedy, Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga.
- Actor in a Leading Role, Gary Oldman
- Actress in a Supporting Role, Amanda Seyfried
- Cinematography, Erik Messerschmidt
- Costume Design, Trish Summerville
- Directing, David Fincher
- Makeup and Hairstyling, Gigi Williams, Kimberley Spitery and Colleen LaBaff
- Music (Original Score), Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross
- Best Picture
- Production Design, Donald Graham Burt (Production Design) and Jan Pascale (Set Decoration
- Sound, Ren Klyce, Jeremy Molod, David Parker, Nathan Nance and Drew Kunin
2. The Trial of the Chicago 7
- Actor in a Supporting Role, Sacha Baron Cohen
- Cinematography, Phedon Papamichael
- Film Editing, Alan Baungarten
- Music (Original Song), "Hear My Voice"
- Best Picture
- Writing (Original Screenplay), Aaron Sorkin
3. Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
- Actor in a Leading Role, Chadwick Boseman
- Actress in a Leading Role, Viola Davis
- Costume Design, Ann Roth
- Makeup and Hairstyling, Sergio Lopez-Rivera, Mia Neal and Jamika Wilson
- Production Design, Mark Ricker (Production Design) and Karen O'Hara and Diana Stoughton (Set Decoration)
4. Pieces of a Woman
- Actress in a Leading Role, Vanessa Kirby
5. Hillbilly Elegy
- Actress in a Supporting Role, Glenn Close
- Makeup and Hairstyling, Eryn Krueger Mekash, Matthew Mungle and Patricia Dehaney
(Related: Grammys 2021: The Best Hair and Makeup Looks)
6. News of the World
- Cinematography, Dariusz Wolski
- Music (Original Score), James Newton Howard
- Production Design, David Crank (Production Design) and Elizabeth Keenan (Set Decoration)
- Sound, Oliver Tarney, Mike Prestwood Smith, William Miller and John Pritchett
7. My Octopus Teacher
- Documentary (Feature)
8. Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga
- Music (Original Song), "Husavik"
9. The Life Ahead
- Music (Original Song), "Io Si (Seen)"
10. The Midnight Sky
- Visual Effects, Matthew Kasmir, Christopher Lawrence, Max Solomon and David Watkins
11. The White Tiger
- Writing (Adapted Screenplay), Ramin Bahrani