In early 2010, olive oil has become a popular ingredient in baking. Now, it is making a huge comeback, with many home cooks adding this ingredient when making loaves and cakes. For butter-lovers out there who are skeptical to use olive oil as a replacement, there's no need to worry as EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) actually makes bread and cakes fluffier and more moist! Plus, you get to indulge in a healthier treat.
Give it a go with these five easy-to-follow recipes and let us know what you think!
Olive Oil Cake
Start your EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) baking journey with this gluten-free cake recipe from Bon Appetit. It's simple and very easy to make, plus you can add your favourite icing or jam to spice things up!
- 1¼ cups plus 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil; plus more for pan
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp sugar; plus more
- 2 cups cake flour
- ⅓ cup almond flour or meal or fine-grind cornmeal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 3 tbsp amaretto, Grand Marnier, sweet vermouth or other liqueur
- 1 tbsp lemon zest, finely grated
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs