What Strava is to athletes or Goodreads is to bookworms, Vivino is to wine drinkers, offering the opportunity to record and rate the wines they drink, and to follow fellow wine lovers and like and comment on their wine adventures.
This year, the app launched its Vivino Community Awards, announcing the wines that ranked best in its key markets, which included Hong Kong.
The Hong Kong Top 25 List of wines rated and reviewed over the last 12 months by its community of more than 400,000 wine drinkers in Hong Kong, was dominated by red wines and bubbles, as might be expected, with 17 reds and seven sparkling wines, while just one white wine made the list.
French wine was the most popular, with nine entries, though the list also included seven bottles from Italy, six from Spain and one apiece from Argentina, New Zealand and Lebanon. The Lebanese entry was perhaps the most surprising and came in the form of a 1998 Rouge (Gaston Hochar) from the renowned Château Musar . Otherwise, most of the wines on the Hong Kong list were from well-known brands such as Dom Pérignon, Krug and Château Lynch-Bages.
The Hong Kong Top 25 List is as follows:
- Antinori Tignanello 2016
- Dom Pérignon Brut Champagne 2010
- Krug Grande Cuvée Brut Champagne NV
- Alto Moncayo Garnacha 2017
- Pintia Toro 2015
- Tommasi Amarone della Valpollicella Classico
- La Rioja Alta Rioja Gran Reserva 904 2011
- Tenuta Ulisse Limited Edition 10 Vendemmie NV
- Ruinart Blanc de Blancs Brut Champagne NV
- Château Lascombes Margaux (Grand Cru Classé) 2015
- Château Lynch-Bages Pauillac (Grand Cru Classé) 2011
- Alto Moncayo Veraton Garnacha 2017
- Ruinart Brut Rosé Champagne NV
- Château Musar Rouge (Gaston Hochar) 1998
- Tenuta Il Poggione Brunello di Montalcino 2015
- Masi Costasera Amarone della Valpolicella Classico 2015
- Marqués de Riscal Rioja Reserva 2015
- La Rioja Alta Viña Ardanza Reserva Selección Especial 2010
- Clos de los Siete Clos de Los Siete (by Michel Rolland) 2017
- Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc 2019
- Veuve Clicquot Brut (Carte Jaune) Champagne NV
- Casalforte Amarone della Valpolicella 2016
- Antinori Villa Antinori Chianti Classico Riserva 2016
- Bollinger Special Cuvée Brut Aÿ Champagne NV
- Louis Roederer Brut Premier Champagne NV