Hong Kong Restaurant News: Grand Hyatt's Champagne Bar Reopens, Weekend Brunch at Penicillin, And More
- New Cafes Of The WeekNew Cafes Of The Week
- The Champagne Bar At Grand Hyatt Reopens After Extended ClosureThe Champagne Bar At Grand Hyatt Reopens After Extended Closure
- Penicillin Debuts Its "Unplugged Sundays" Free-Flow BrunchPenicillin Debuts Its "Unplugged Sundays" Free-Flow Brunch
- Quinary Partners With Fever-Tree For Tonic And Soda-Focused Spring CocktailsQuinary Partners With Fever-Tree For Tonic And Soda-Focused Spring Cocktails
- Smoke & Barrel Introduces Six New Smoked Meat BurgersSmoke & Barrel Introduces Six New Smoked Meat Burgers
- Japanese Vegetarian Delicacies at Kyoto JoeJapanese Vegetarian Delicacies at Kyoto Joe
- Poem's International Women's Day Menu Pays Homage To The Matriarchs Of BaliPoem's International Women's Day Menu Pays Homage To The Matriarchs Of Bali
- In Case You Missed ItIn Case You Missed It
The food and drink happenings that you should know about this week
Break out the bubbly—with the continued freedom to dine out at night, this week has been as busy as ever with new drinking and dining promotions across Hong Kong. Here, we highlight the latest collaborations and new menus from restaurants and bars to check out.
New Cafes Of The Week
- Miss Dough & Brew, a cafe and sourdough-focused bakery on Sai Ying Pun's Second Street.
- The Third Bakery, an offshoot of Yuen Long cafe The Third, brings its house coffee drinks and an expanded pastry menu to Sai Ying Pun's Eastern Street.
- Preface Coffee, taking over Interval's Central location, brings its unique mix of coffee, wine and coding workshops from its previous location in Causeway Bay.
The Champagne Bar At Grand Hyatt Reopens After Extended Closure
The Grand Hyatt's longstanding Champagne Bar is set to welcome guests again with a refreshed menu after closing due to the pandemic. Retaining its dimly-lit classic interior and circular bar, the establishment is debuting 12 new cocktails alongside its usual offering of bubbly, oysters and caviar. The cocktail section is split into champagne cocktails, signatures and non-alcoholic libations, with highlights found in the Pear Royal (William pear, eau de vie, tonka bean, saffron syrup, champagne brut) and the Gimurai (Ki No Bi gin, sake, cucumber, dill, lemon). Don't miss the royal oscietra caviar, which is offered as a spoon "shot" or in three serving sizes (we recommend a chaser of Beluga vodka), or the oyster selection bringing together Irish, French and Dutch varieties, and make sure to plan a return visit for when live music is allowed again.
Champagne Bar, Lobby Level, Grand Hyatt Hong Kong, 1 Harbour Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
Penicillin Debuts Its "Unplugged Sundays" Free-Flow Brunch
Having recently launched its Flawless Feed weekday lunch sets, closed-loop cocktail bar Penicillin bolsters its food offerings further with the all-new Unplugged Sundays brunch menu. Starting this Sunday, 7 March, the Sunday brunch will allow diners to pick one out of three main courses, including the all-day breakfast, duck leg confit waffle, and local pork and apricot burger, along with two hours of free-flow champagne and mimosas. The Unplugged Sundays brunch will be available every Sunday from 12pm to 4pm.
Penicillin, L/G, Amber Lodge, 23 Hollywood Road, Central, Hong Kong
Quinary Partners With Fever-Tree For Tonic And Soda-Focused Spring Cocktails
Premium drinks mixer brand Fever-Tree is launching a pop-up at Quinary this March, taking inspiration from the farm-to-table movement to transform the bar into a pastoral haven. Ingredients sourced from four local farms underpin a selection of long drinks and sours, split into a core menu of four drinks that will last the duration of the pop-up until March 31st, and four special cocktails that will be rotated each week. Visitors can also enter a social media giveaway to win a Quinary x Fever-Tree gin and tonic kit, while any order of the pop-up menu will receive a complimentary pack of herbs for gin infusions at home.
Quinary, 56-58 Hollywood Road, Central, Hong Kong
Smoke & Barrel Introduces Six New Smoked Meat Burgers
A meal at American smokehouse Smoke & Barrel is usually both long and indulgent, though, with the debut of six new burgers, that may be set to change. Packing head chef Christopher Tuthill's barbeque expertise between two buns, the "Smokin' Hot Burgers" range features burgers named after various American states; among them are the Carolina Burger with hand-pulled, pit-smoked pork shoulder, the Tennessee Burger with 14-hour slow-smoked wagyu brisket, and the Texas Burger with a dry-aged beef patty. The new burgers are now available for dine-in, takeaway or delivery through Deliveroo or Foodpanda.
Smoke & Barrel, 1/F-2/F, Wyndham Mansion, 32 Wyndham Street, Central, Hong Kong
Japanese Vegetarian Delicacies at Kyoto Joe
Vegetarians will have one more option to choose from in the Lan Kwai Fong area this month with the launch of contemporary izakaya Kyoto Joe's vegetarian dinner menu. Encompassing appetisers, sushi, robatayaki and agemono, the all-you-can-eat offering spans a selection of over 25 vegetarian dishes—diners can look forward to the likes of vegetable tartare, cauliflower tempura, Indian and Mexican-inspired sushi rolls, and vegetable curry fried rice. Limited to two hours per sitting, the vegetarian dinner menu is served from Monday to Wednesday, 6pm to 10pm for HK$380 per person.
Kyoto Joe, 23/F, California Tower, 30-36 D'Aguilar Street, Central, Hong Kong
Poem's International Women's Day Menu Pays Homage To The Matriarchs Of Bali
Balinese restaurant Poem highlights the culinary traditions passed on by the matriarchs of the Indonesian island this International Women's Day. From March 8 to 11, the women of Poem will be taking over the kitchen under the eye of sous chef Alyssa Mae Menchavez, with dishes like free-range chicken with house-made sambal bajak, and smoked Hokkaido scallops with green sambal curry to look forward to. Diners can pick from a three-course lunch menu from HK$288 per person, or a four-course dinner menu from HK$488 per person.
Poem, 5/F, LKF Tower, 33 Wyndham Street, Central, Hong Kong
In Case You Missed It
- The Best Food and Cooking Shows On Netflix To Watch In 2021
- How Hong Kong's Vegetables And Char Siu Inspire Bakehouse's Gregoire Michaud
- 10 Best Places For Tiramisu In Hong Kong
- 17 Best Ramen Restaurants in Hong Kong
- An Italian-Chinese Tasting Menu By Chef Antimo Maria Merone At Tatler Dining Kitchen
- 6 Best Bakeries For Canelés In Hong Kong