Makes 6 portions
Dashi (soup stock)
25g Hamadaya Reduced Salt Shoyu
1g Dried Chili
Yaki Nasu (eggplant)
2 Long Eggplant
2 Ripe Tomatoes (350g)
3g Konbu Dashi Powder
½ Tablespoon Halal Gelatine
6g Grated Ginger
Coriander or Herb Flowers
1. Make the dashi by mixing the seven ingredients together in a bowl and chill.
2. Cut some slits in the eggplants, rub with oil and grill over hot coals to cook and char the skin. Remove from grill, let cool for five minutes and then peel skin.
3. Cut eggplant into 3cm long pieces and put them into the chilled dashi to marinate for minimum one hour.
4. Make the tomato gelee by blending the tomatoes with the salt, sugar and konbu dashi.
5. Strain the juice, and then using the same strainer with the tomato bits in it, strain again. The layer of tomato bits will act as a filter for clear tomato water. Chill it.
6. Once cold, place in pot, add the gelatine, and stir. Over medium heat, warm it while stirring until the gelatine is dissolved. Chill for four hours or until set.
7. To complete the dish, strain the dashi and then place three pieces of eggplant on a shallow bowl, scrape out some tomato gelee and place on top of eggplant, garnish with herbs, flowers, sliced okra and a pinch of grated ginger.